Wednesday 30 March 2016

Community day - our visit to Lycée Chawki 24th March

Every IBM Corporate Service Corps group undertakes a Community Service Day.
For Morocco 8 we visited a local high school to talk to the students there about careers. We divided into three teams and each team went into a class with around 35 students in their last year at High School; so average age about 17.

As we stood at the door to the classroom there was a buzz of chatter, talking and laughing. No teacher in sight. I though that the issue wouldn't be what to say - but how to be heard ! I was very wrong. As soon as we went in and said Bonjour there was general sushing and they were very attentive. Really great kids.

Each of the team gave a brief recap of their career - what  they thought they wanted to do, what they studied, how there ideas changed and what they do today.

So for instance for myself, at 16 I thought I'd be a social worker and chose Psychology as a Degree because I thought it was related (its not really); then after graduation I worked as a computer programmer (it paid well...) And now after several IT careers I'm in HR Learning !

We tried to get them each to stand up and say who they were an waht they enjoyed; many were very shy. Liberal offerings of Caramello Koalas helped somewhat.

Most of the pupils spoke good English (as well as French and Arabic...) and communications were easy.
I think they got a lot out of the session - but probably not as much satisfaction and happiness as us !!








No comments:

Post a Comment